TIPS for Selling
Selling your home? Less is definitely more.
This information is brought to you by a proud member of the Texas Association of REALTORS®. Whenever you buy, sell,
or lease real estate, make sure your agent is a REALTOR®.
© 2004 by the Texas Association of REALTORS®. All rights reserved.
Here are a few tips to make your home more attractive to a potential buyer:
• Clean out closets, pick up clutter, and pare down what’s inside. That goes for those treasured family photos and mementos, too. The reason? Besides adding a spacious feel to the home, pared-down surroundings can help potential buyers better envision themselves and their family photos in the house.
• Pack away items and special collections usually displayed in cabinets and hutches, and move a few pieces of furniture out of the house. This will help buyers to better see where their furniture might go in the house.
• Don’t forget to keep the house clean every minute it’s on the market. This takes great effort, but the buyer may need to see it in the next five minutes, and you’ll need to be prepared.
Tone down your creativity
• So, you like your house to “say something” about your personality. Well, it’s time to tone it down. Go buy some plain-vanilla paint to cover those red-and-purple walls in your boudoir—it’ll make a difference when you’re trying to sell your home. Many buyers can’t see your Picasso genius (and just can’t get past the splatter-paint wall in the living room) to visualize colors they’re more comfortable with.
• If you’ve got an Italian fresco on a living room wall that stops people in their tracks, they may lose sight of the rest of the home’s wonderful features. If you’re resistant to do anything about it, ask someone you trust to give you an independent view of your home. Better yet, ask your REALTOR® or an appraiser if the house looks cluttered or if any colors are too bright. Some may see bright colors as gaudy. Listen to their answers and take their advice. By “paring down,” organizing, and carefully sorting your possessions, you’re ensuring that your home will appeal to the greatest number of potential buyers. Remember to remove about half of the items stored in closets and cabinets and toss or give away things you don’t use. Not only will de-cluttering and cleaning help to sell your house quickly, you’ll be ahead of the game when it comes to packing up and moving to your new location.